Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I had another 15 minutes of fame yesterday.

Frances and I were at Big Springs Park feeding the ducks with the kids--actually I should say we were at the park with the kids, feeding the ducks. And so....

This group of 4 spanish oriented people were hovering around and I didn't pay much attention until one stopped and greeted me, then I smiled, said hello and went back to joyfully hurling bread in every direction. (my fan base of ducks and pigeons didn't take to kindly to any lapse of attention on my part).

I have never tried much to communicate with people who don't have a clue what I'm saying, so I don't know how I would act if I were to try, but I have noticed this about the spanish persuasion... They will speak as rapidly in their native language as possible, all the while with a huge smile and sweeping gestures that they are sure are the ultimate translator. SO....

I notice that this one little man is grinning and gesturing to beat the band.
Me: Oh, Hi again! Yes, HI! Hello Good Day--Your picture? You want me to take your picture?
Him: (obviously understanding the word "picture", Nods vigorously and makes sweeping motions with his hands.)

Well, I thought he wanted me to take a picture of him and his group, turns out he wanted a picture of me and him. HA! O--KAAAY...if it cranks your tractor.

Me: Oh, you mean you want a picture of ME and you?
Him: Much enthusiastic head nodding, lots of words I didn't EVEN understand and Amiga.

Turns out the whole group-three men and one woman, wanted their picture with me. They wanted individual pictures and group pictures, they wanted sitting down pictures and standing up pictures. So here I am, all my 5'6" glory, and not a one of them over 5 foot, having a serious photo shoot that would have put portrait innovations to shame.

I learned that they were from Guatemala. Like this-
Him:rapid spanish"Guatemala"rapid spanish head nod head nod expansive gesture
Me: Oh, you're from Guatemala?
Him: eyes light up vigorous nod "You America?"
Me: That's me-America.

YES!!

We have Communication!! No gift of tongues needed!

So about fifteen pictures later, they bid me a fond farewell and went happily off into the sunset and I went back to duck feeding--feeling just a little bit culturally enriched.

5 Comments:

At 7:46 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

One: I will now call you "America" with a spanish-ish-type accentay as often as possible!

Two: Why in the WORLD didn't Francis translate??? Isn't Spanish one of her native languages? I mean, didn't I hear that she knew Spanish BEFORE English??

 
At 8:02 AM , Blogger Just Me said...

Frances, it seems, was somewhat embarrassed (not used to the celebrity life, I suppose). She stayed down by the water and acted like she was very unaware of the situation.

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger BASF said...

I wish I could have been there.

 
At 5:49 AM , Blogger AlabamaBrands said...

Ha hA Ha hA!

NO HABLA ESPANOL??

I must start selling pictures of you on ebay. I had no idea your were considered a celebrity in Guatamala!

 
At 1:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh...my...Sister, THAT is hilarious!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter